Sunday, January 29, 2012

Color Therapy

It seems like every year at about this time I find myself browsing through my collection of artist's books, soaking up paintings by artists like Joseph Albers and Ellsworth Kelly.  The ultra-saturated colors in their paintings somehow supplement the lack of Vitamin D coursing through my body.

Joseph Albers, Homage to the Square: Soft Spoken

Joseph Albers, Study for Homage to the Square

Ellsworth Kelly, Red/Blue

Ellsworth Kelly, Red Blue Green

I'm making a conscientious effort to surround myself with color this winter.  I'll wear my chartreuse scarf instead of my beloved grey one and flip through colorful paint chips in Home Depot.  I even painted my mirror hot pink (to be revealed on a later post.)  Somehow, this seems to cure my winter blues.  One thing that always does the trick is my favorite set of mugs.  I can't help but wonder if painters like Albers and Kelly used to sip their coffee out of the same mugs.  They must have, right?


Bauerware mugs from next summer

I worry sometimes that I have overdone it with the bright pink and green colors in my living room, but my husband insists it's not too much.  So I've resigned to stop worrying and embrace color.  These are some of my favorite pieces that remind me of my favorite painters.  I hope they warm you up on a cold winter's day.





No comments:

Post a Comment