Sunday, March 17, 2013

No-Sew Sink Skirt Revisited


About a year ago we wrote a post about a DIY no-sew sink skirt.  You can read about it here.  It was a big success: it added some much needed color and pattern to a bland bathroom that we didn't want to paint and it held up over time.  Since then we have moved into a new house, and we gained a new bathroom to tackle.


below: sink from last year

There were a few issues here, and we're tackling them one by one.  The deep red color of the bathroom seemed oppressive in such a small space.  We started by lightening it up with a coat of light grey paint.  The previous tenants left us this little side table, which was made to fit in the space.  We painted that too, and it adds some storage but not enough.  Having the toilet brush and bowl cleaner just hanging out in plain sight under the sink did not work for me.


Before

So, I got inspired by last year's project. Unfortunately, the sink in our last bathroom was a completely different size, so I couldn't reuse the skirt with the beautiful Roberta Roller Rabbit print.  I took it as an opportunity to try something new.  I followed the same steps as last time.  You can read those here on Little Green Notebook.  I did everything the same, except I decided to add ribbon on the bottom of the skirt.



I didn't do a print this time because we have another plan for that room that involves a geo pattern.  More to come on that later!  (You might see a hint of what's to come in the reflection in the mirror.)  I also repainted the faux bamboo mirror that I found at a yard sale for $20.  I used Citron paint in gloss from Benjamin Moore after adding two coats of Kilz oil based spray primer.  Not bad for an inexpensive project!


                 Before                                                       After                       


5 comments:

  1. I love both no-sew sink skirts, they are awesome! So clean, and simple and such an easy, little thing that makes such a big difference. And that mirror - to die for! I am all about faux-bamboo right now; we actually just spray painted some old bamboo-ish wicker chairs that were my grandmother's bright yellow and gave them gray and white geometric cushions... so fun :) I think we're on the same wave length!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got what you mean , thanks for posting .Woh I am happy to find this website through google.
    Bathroom Sink Faucets Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is the slim storage unit on the side of the sink from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello - the beige sink skirt is exactly what I need - but I cant find your instructions anywhere... the links appear to be broken - can you help>. many thanks.

    ReplyDelete